Monday 21 September 2015

Increased Fertility and Bariatric Surgery - Prevention

DISCLAIMER: Now, before I begin, I know this will be a controversial topic. I am talking "planned" parenthood, for the sake of your health and a new life's health post-op. A follow up blog from my co-author MAY follow concerning the OTHER side of the story.

I have PCOS, Polycystsic Ovarian Syndrome. This syndrome can cause missed, or irregular periods, weight gain (which is my issue), hair growth where you don't want it, hair loss (where you don't want it), acne, and what I still suffer from, cysts. Horrible, painful cysts. 

Bariatric surgery, CAN HELP many of the symptoms, but doesn't always get rid of the issue (because, yes, skinny people have PCOS too). How does it help? Well weight loss can increase your fertility, and in our case, it can cause HYPER fertility, as post-op the birth control pill, and the patch are not absorbed as well, and the shot causes weight gain. This leaves, condoms (male or female), abstinence, and the IUD (copper or hormone) as the remaining options. Condoms, which sometimes break, or slip off.... abstinence (which a healthy young couple probably wouldn't do for two years)... and then, the IUD. 

An intrauterine device (IUD or coil) is a small contraceptive device, often 'T'-shaped, often containing either copper or levonorgestrel, which is inserted into the uterus. They are one form of long-acting reversible contraception which are the most effective types of reversible birth control.

I chose to have the Mirena IUD inserted a few months pre-surgery, as this form of contraceptive works for 5 years, pregnancy rates are 0.01%, and the horror stories, while terrifying, happen so rarely that it sounded like the best option for me.  The reason I chose this option? Pregnancy within the first 2 years of bariatric surgery, is a drain on your health, and that of the baby. You cannot absorb vitamins, and neither can your baby.... Also, frankly, I'm not a fan of children, and am far too selfish to bother. If you are considering this surgery, and starting a family (or NOT starting a family) I urge you, men and women, to think about contraceptive, not for ever, just for the first few years while your body recovers, heals, and relearns itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment