Saturday 25 July 2015

Nearly 8 weeks out...

...and I'm finding the support group to be not at all supportive. I discuss my issues, and worries, and get told to pull up my big girl panties... I talk about my worsening health condition and get told that "It isn't an overnight fix..." Yes thanks "Support people" I know this. What I NEED is someone to say "Yeah I know, it sucks too." So since I can't discuss my problems, or fears with this "Support" group, what can I do, but keep quiet and deal with the issues myself and through blogging. Hopefully, any of you considering Bariatric surgery get more support than I have, if you ever need it, but feel like you aren't getting it, shoot me an e-mail, I'll be happy to offer advice, or just listen to your complaints. 

This surgery isn't all roses and rainbows, it's an annoying struggle for over eaters; and torture for meal skippers like myself. Sure the end result might make you forget all the bad, but the journey WILL be a struggle as you unlearn old habits, and try to create new, GOOD habits. Let me offer you a glimpse into the worlds of both over eaters, and under eaters:

If you are an over eater, or a food addict (like many who need this surgery are), you will have to fight a battle with your mind, more than your body. You will have to stop, think, and look at why you are eating. Are you truly hungry? Or are you upset, stressed, happy, congratulatory? Stop, think, and decide whether or not you need to fill your new stomach or not. You need to decide if that ice cream will really make you feel better, or if its just an old fall back. Is it worth it?

For us meal skippers, we need to set alarms. I mean it. You will not be hungry, same as you weren't before hand. If you get sad/happy/angry/tired/etc, you don't want to eat (trust me, I deal with this ALWAYS). That alarm goes off, YOU EAT. You have to, if you don't, you will stall, and your body may start retaining water.... which leads to weight gain (albeit temporary), which leads to depression, and more not wanting to eat. I don't care if it's one bite of chicken, or a teaspoon of humus, but you HAVE to eat post op, it may seem wrong to eat to lose weight, but if you don't, you can't function. Take it one bite at a time, and remember to ask yourself.... Is this bite worth it?

ASK YOURSELF: Is this bite worth it? You will be full, for HOURS on a few nibbles... so nutritionally, is that bite you're about to put in your mouth worth it?

Best of luck, stay strong.

Alicia


P.S. If you need me, I'll be here.

No comments:

Post a Comment